In order to stop the dropout of children of the poor members, IDF introduced this program with the Award Money of US$ 10,000 (Taka 6,00,000) from Grameen Foundation USA in 2004. Grameen Foundation USA was very pleased at the use of “Award Money” and success of scholarship program and added US$ 1,00,000 to this fund in 2006. The scholarship fund is mainly created with these two funds.
The details of scholarship program are as follows.
- Provide financial support to the children of poor families, particularly IDF members to get access to education.
- Encourage children to make good result
- Contribute to human resources development of the country
- Children of grade 3 to undergraduate level.
- At least 60% marks in the last annual exam in case of class III-X.
- Grade-A in SSC, HSC and undergraduate and graduate levels.
Source of Fund
- Income from
- GFUSA Award Money
- GFUSA grants
- IDF contribution
- Applications are received by branch manager with the help of field organizers;
- Results of last annual exam, performance in the class and manners are mainly considered during the selection ;
- Scholarship Committee selects new students and reviews the old one for renewal of scholarships.
Table : Number and amount of scholarships by class per year
|Class||No. of Students||Amount of Scholarship/ month/student||Scholarship in 2015 (Tk.)||Books and other materials (Tk.)||Total (Tk.)|
|III – V||120||100||1,44,000||24,000||1,68,000|
|VI – VIII||90||150||1,62,000||45,000||2,07,000|
|IX – X||50||175||1,05,000||50,000||1,55,000|
|XI – XII||40||300||1,44,000||40,000||1,84,000|
|Undergraduate (4 years)||20||600||1,44,000||20,000||1,64,000|
Table : One time Scholarship provided
Total : Year wise scholarship 2005-2016 (Regular)